• S
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This month:

(0) events

Forums Home > Care, Cleaning and Repai... > Tile > How do I stop this?
How do I stop this?
robertapros
Image: Author Image

Hello, I am a tile installer. From time to time when I am installing ceramic fixtures in drywall I accidently cut too deep in the drywall, or hit it too hard with the claw of my hammer and knock out the drywall backing. Are there other installers that this happens to and what advice can you give me to prevent this? What is the best remedy once it happens? Thank you.
~Roberta Pros~
http://www.iicrc.org/
TIP: Many carpet manufacturers require that you have your carpet cleaned by an IICRC certified carpet cleaner to maintain your warranty.
MichaelPrachniak
Image: Author Image
Posted: August 24, 2008 1:06 AM

RE: How do I stop this?
Don't worry; I am sure this happens to all of us tile pros. The trick of course is to cut out the hole while leaving the drywall backing in place. Here are some things that I have learned over the years that helps me:

1. Open your razor knife partway so that it goes in a metered depth (apx 3/8") and cannot go all the way through the drywall.

2. Keep the claw of your hammer sharp using a grinding stone so that it cuts right through, rather than simply knocks into the drywall. A sharp claw also helps to better scrape out the excess drywall material.

3. If you do make complete hole in your drywall, simply stuff it with newspaper, plastic dropcloths, or whatever else is handy, so that you have a backing for your mud.

4. Don't forget to carefully puncture a relatively small hole in the backing with your knife to allow the mud to go through and mushroom out.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Our members have made a total of 636 posts
We have 7739 registered members
The newest member is needdupont
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>