•  
  •  

This month:

(0) events

Expansion joints?
MichaelPrachniak
Image: Author Image
Posted: September 22, 2008 3:06 PM

I am putting new laminate flooring down in most of the downstairs rooms in my house. It will be about 1800 square feet with a couple of large open areas that extend into various rooms through doorways. With this much flooring is it okay to run everything continuous, or should I have expansion joints (covered with a t-molding) in the doorways?
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
ScottSummers
Image: Author Image

RE: Expansion joints?
I would definitely recommend t-moldings at every doorway. You can usually skip them in smaller closets, just be sure to undercut your jambs and cut the laminate so it can move freely under them. If you have any large rooms, (over 20 feet in any direction)double check your manufacturer's specs. Some makers recommend expansion joints with t-molding if the room is over 20 odd feet. If you're a foot or two over what the manufacturer recommends, I would say you could probably skip it, but if your room is 30 or 40 feet long, do what the manufacturer says. If you do choose to leave out the t-moldings in the doorways, make absolutely sure the laminate can move at least a 1/4 inch in every direction, at all obstructions in the entire installation. This means every wall, threshold, door jamb, closet track, bifold closet bracket, fireplace hearth...you get the idea.
Our members have made a total of 638 posts
We have 7866 registered members
The newest member is johnmarl
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>