•  

This month:

(0) events

Forums Home > General Chat by Floor Ty... > Tile > Tiling over vinyl/linoleum
Tiling over vinyl/linoleum
MichaelPrachniak
Image: Author Image
Posted: August 15, 2008 3:27 PM

Hello, I am one of the resident tile pros on this site. Here is a question to other installers. There seems to be a lot of controversy over installing tile over vinyl or linoleum flooring. Some installers say absolutely not and that the tile may not stick well enough to the vinyl and the vinyl may not be stuck down well enough. Others say that it can be done, provided you use thinset with 100% latex admix and sand the floor. I have never installed over vinyl myself but often wondered if it would actually work well as a crack suppression treatment. What are your thoughts or experiences with installing over vinyl flooring?
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
DelWallace

RE: Tiling over vinyl/linoleum
I have been involved with many "over vinyl" installations. We have used thinset with latex additive such as Latacrete 333. We have found it to be a very suitable underlayment. In fact I have been involved with a number of contractors that install vinyl in new houses as an inexpensive crack suppressant and they have specified or provide simply latex modified thinset. I have seen tile torn out and the bond seemed to be very adaquate.
MichaelPrachniak
Posted: August 17, 2008 8:29 PM

RE: Tiling over vinyl/linoleum
Thanks Del. It is promising to hear that others have had success with tiling over vinyl. I have spent hours, ripping out old, well stuck and hardened vinyl floors, that perhaps could have been tiled over, even resorting to using a scraper attachment on my electric chisel. I haven't heard of substituting new, inexpensive vinyl for a tile underlayment, but if it saves money and works well, why not.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Our members have made a total of 646 posts
We have 8296 registered members
The newest member is Ricketson
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>