• F
  • S
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This month:

(0) events

Forums Home > Installation by Floor Ty... > Tile > Medium Bed Mortar of Red Guard
Medium Bed Mortar of Red Guard
ScottSummers
Image: Author Image

Can I use Tec's medium bed mortar mixed with water to install porcelin tile over redguard or do I need to mix it with the addditive?

Also, the redguard doesn't seem to be bonding too well to the gypcrete. I know the point of a crack isolation membrane is that the tile should stick to it and not the subfloor, allowing for cracks and expansion, but the redguard just peels right off the floor with little effort. Should I be concerned or is this just the way it should work?

Thanks

MichaelPrachniak
Posted: October 24, 2008 1:54 PM

RE: Medium Bed Mortar of Red Guard
Hi Scott. The first thing that comes to mind is that porcelain tile requires the use of a polymer-modified thinset. You can use the TEC medium bed mortar but make sure you use an acrylic latex additive at preferably 100% (no water).

Secondly, you cannot apply Redgard directly over gypcrete without using a primer. Here is a link to a Redgard PDF outlining exactly how to do just that. www.custombuildingproduc...

Redgard should not peel up easily as you described. In your case, the floor needed to be primed. Over standard concrete floors if this happens it is usually because of surface contaminates such as oil or dust.

Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
ScottSummers

I guess I was wrong. These are just ceramic. Do I still need to use modified thinset?

Thanks

MichaelPrachniak
Posted: October 24, 2008 6:11 PM

Ceramic does not require a polymer-modified thinset. However, according to the Redgard data sheet, you will need a polymer-modified thinset to adhere to the membrane, so you may still need the latex additive.

Here is a link to the data sheet:

www.custombuildingproduc...
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Our members have made a total of 640 posts
We have 7982 registered members
The newest member is activatrolreviews
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>