• S
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This month:

(0) events

Forums Home > Installation by Floor Ty... > Tile > Need advice on preparing a terrazo floor to be tiled over
Need advice on preparing a terrazo floor to be tiled over
Marks006
Image: Author Image

I am a carpet installer but am tackling a tile job for a friend of mine. He has an old terrazzo floor that I will be tiling over. What is the best way to prepare the floor for the tile? Is it enough to rough sand it?
MichaelPrachniak
Image: Author Image
Posted: August 23, 2008 10:51 PM

RE: Need advice on preparing a terrazo floor to be tiled over
Terrazzo floors can be tricky to adhere to particularly because of the smooth, glossy surface and the potential of having wax buildup. The very best way to prepare the floor is to rent a concrete scarifier. This will roughen up the surface to give the thinset something to grab onto.

Here is an example of a scarifier: www.floor-equipment.com/...

Another option would be to apply a chemical stripper to remove any wax and then rough sand the floor to remove any sheen. If you choose this option use a standard grade, portland based thinset (non-polymer modified) and mix with a liquid latex additive instead of water or simply using an epoxy thinset. Also, when gluing the tiles down be sure to force the adhesive into the substrate using the flat side of the trowel first, and then use the notched side. Also, as with tiling over any concrete floor, cover any cracks with a crack isolation membrane following the manufacturer's instructions.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
Our members have made a total of 636 posts
We have 7742 registered members
The newest member is leilei3915
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>