• S
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This month:

(0) events

Forums Home > Job Cost Analysis > What do you charge to move heavy furniture?
What do you charge to move heavy furniture?
qualityfloors
Image: Author Image

Hi, I am a flooring contractor and have a customer with a tremendous amount of heavy and very expensive furniture. What do some of you other contractors charge for moving around a lot of heavy furniture? These are the times you are glad you have insurance.
ScottSummers

RE: What do you charge to move heavy furniture?
I try to avoid moving furniture as often as possible. Occasionally I do get an older customer or a single woman who doesn't have friends or family around to help so I'll reluctantly agree. I generally charge my regular hourly rate per man hour for as many people as I have working. If I have a brand new helper who doesn't know much, I typically bill his time at half the rate. There is the liability factor to consider as well, so you can't do it too cheap. You don't want to file a claim with your insurance company unless it's at least $500-1000.00 or you risk your premiums going up for nothing. For a few large items such as appliances, I charge per appliance. I have an air sled to minimize damage to new floors and make it easier so I have to absorb the cost of that as well. I charage $35.00 each to r&r appliances. Air sleds aren't cheap and again, there is still the potential for disaster, so I don't want to spend an extra hour repairing a floor that I accidentally damaged while moving a heavily loaded refrigerator for peanuts.
qualityfloors

RE: What do you charge to move heavy furniture?
Thanks for your answer Scott.  Lots of good points to think about here.  I will keep what you said in mind!
Our members have made a total of 648 posts
We have 8489 registered members
The newest member is Steadham
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>