• S
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This month:

(0) events

Forums Home > Open Chat > Too many trades!
Too many trades!
MichaelPrachniak
Image: Author Image
Posted: August 31, 2008 12:10 AM

One of the biggest problems I have faced over the years on new construction sites have been too many trades working simultaneously. It is hard to install flooring when everybody needs in. Has this been a big issue for anyone else and if so how have you resolved it?
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
DelWallace

RE: Too many trades!
Michael, That has been a problem for sometime. We have worked on jobs that have very specific dates for exclusive access and anyone else will be allowed access with your permission. However, this is not the norm rkmost of the time. We generally work with everyone, respectfully, but it seems that the less of a craftsman and more of an installer you encounter the more likely problems will arise.
ScottSummers

I finally told one builder a few years ago that if I showed-up and the job wasn't ready again, I wasn't going to fight with everyone; I was just simply going to go fishing. They could call me when it was ready and I would work it back into my schedule when I could. He understood and things got better after that. I think this is a universal problem with construction. At some point in the process, at least one trade is going to get behind and that slows everyone else down. Flooring has to be one of the toughest for this though, because everybody has to walk across your work area to get to theirs! Has anyone noticed how we always seem to get blamed for the project not being done on time as well. It seems like everyone else on the job can get behind, but, by gosh, we better have it done when it's supposed to be, even if it's not ready when we get there!
MichaelPrachniak
Posted: September 9, 2008 7:39 PM

Thanks Del and Scott, I see you both have dealt with this issue first hand. No, us flooring installers don't get much sympathy.
Michael Prachniak - Expert Tile and Stone Consultant and Writer, Owner - TileProductions.com

Check out FAF''''s tile section!
www.findanyfloor.com/tile/TileFloo...
pris

I can agree with that!!
TileAndTimber
Posted: December 22, 2008 5:58 PM

This is constantly a problem with new construction, but I've found that money is always a motivator.

We had one builder in the Twin Cities that was always behind schedule, dirty jobsites and too many people there on the same days.

We finally set some rules with them. We agree to installation dates at least a week ahead of time. If our crew has to move ladders, cords, boxes etc, sweep or scrape mud off the floors in excess etc, it is going to cost $50/man hour. With 3 installers, that's $150/hr!

We also imposed a $100 "rescheduling fee"; if they moved the install date without at least 24 hours notice, if we show up on our scheduled date and things are not ready, or if we are forced to get behind schedule or wait around for other contractors to get out of the way.

Once we imposed a few of these penalties, he quickly assigned a scheduling and clean up supervisor to each jobsite. Everyone knew when each other was supposed to be there. Everyone's cards w/phone #'s were posted on the garage wall and things have gone much smoother since.

Flooring guys always tend to get pushed around, blamed for delays and paid last. We have to make a stand and be respected for the quality of the finish work we do.

Thanks for reminding everyone,

take care

Kurt at Tile and Timber
Our members have made a total of 636 posts
We have 7739 registered members
The newest member is needdupont
FORUM RULES
You are not logged in.
You cannot post replies

>